Branch line/ISL
I won't lie, I was a bit discouraged by some of the replies. However, having read this forum for a couple of years, it was expected from a few of the members Wink I might not have clarified in my original post, this is a my hobby and I'm in it for fun. I thoroughly enjoy turning my zephyr knob up a few notches and watching a GP40-2, SD40-2 a combination of both tail to tail or heck even 3 in a consist (or I may get crazy and use a Dash 9) to switch out my generic industries. My railroad isn't prototypical nor was it designed to be. It's a more think outside the box and have fun with trains.

This is my railroad scenario. More than likely it is fiction. Looking back at my original post with original layout. We have a (not sure if it's a short line, branch line, main line) railroad line coming from a large city with a much larger yard. The trains departing this city/yard deliver a cut of cars to this town which has industries served by rail. Once the cars are delivered/left at this smaller yard, the train continues down the line to other towns/customers and eventually another yard. This same train will return via same route, passing by this same town and pick up empty and loaded cars.

Due to the prime location of this town, there is also an interchange with another railroad company that provides certain products needed by local industries. The cars delivered to the interchange are brought into the small yard and arranged for delivery. Same scenario, the interchange cars will get placed back on the interchange to be pick up by the neighboring railroad.

The switch list generator I use will tell me what cars I need to place on the interchange and railroad line. If a car for Processing B, Distribution A and Warehouse A are called for these will be place on the interchange track (just an example). The other spots will originate from the railroad line (just an example). I will be researching industries in more detail and pick several that could be served with the freight cars I have. To me, a boxcar is a boxcar. It just happens to be yellow and the name Railbox on it. I like the look of a Railbox car. I see Railbox cars in my area.

This town or "industrial" area has it's own engine "fleet". That's why I have an engine shed and storage. They work the interchange, small yard and deliver/pick up cars from the local customers. The experts can tell me if this exists and what it might be called.

I really do appreciate all the positive feedback. I am in the process of rereading all the replies and will take each one to the drawing board.
Thanks
NSHO

Messages In This Thread