Service & Storage for Diesel Engines
charlie-barret Wrote:That´s an interesting point of view.

Maybe I should add some information about the operational function of the module.

I thought it might be fun for the train operators not just to start with the ready-built train from the staging.
After the train is built and waits in the staging, the engineers get their locomotive(s) from the loco staging where they´ve been serviced and stored,
drive the locomotive power into the staging yard and put them in front of their train.
After that they can depart. (All unter Dispatcher-Control of course)

In my opinion, a combination of staging / storing and servicing point would be even more fun to operate,
because AFTER a train arrived in the staging yard, the locomotives have to be driven into the service terminal,
be serviced and then put into the locomotive staging again.

So it would expand the job and (I think) bring more fun and alternation to the train crews.

I think you have an interesting idea, though I'm not sure if a locomotive servicing point is what you necessarily want to do. The operation I'm most familiar with is the view from the Pepper Avenue overpass at West Colton, CA. The view to the west is the departure yard:

The engine servicing point, where the locos get inspections and running repairs, is off to the left in the distance and not really in sight. However, there's a lot of action here with locos moving into the departure yard to pick up their trains. So your ide is the loco is in some kind of loco staging yard. It moves from there into the scene we see here. The yard tracks visible here are holding full trains that have been made up and are ready to depart when they get their locos. So a set of yard tracks here can be visible staging, with locos moving in from offsite loco staging to pick up their trains in the departure yard.

Several sets of locos are nearly always visible here. In addition, depending on the state of the economy, some yard tracks are sometimes fully taken up with strings of locos in temporary storage.

Messages In This Thread