Athearn Genesis Ditch Lights help
woodone Wrote:If your don't see a 8 pin socket on the PC board you will have to hard wire it. It might be DCC friendly, but without the 8 pin socket it is not DCC ready.
Yo will have to wire the two ditch lights to the F5 and F6 pads and program them to work as ditch lights. A word of warrning- what is the voltage of these bulbs?
Most Athearn locos use 1 1/2 volt light bulbs. You will have to use resistors or some type of voltage control or you will burn them out. If you don't, they will flash once and be gone.
From what I saw in your photos you can use a Atlas light board type decoder. It will snap right in place of the PC board that is the loco now.

Hi Wood, this guy, Fred, over on ModelRailroadForums, thet are 1-1/2 volt light bulbs. He alse recommended the TCS 6 Function decoder:

CP9302 Wrote:I'd recommend a TCS A6X decoder for that unit. It clips in to the same mounting tabs above the motor as the factory board and has built in resistors so you can keep Athearn's 1.5V bulbs.

I think i may just use all TCS 6 function decoders for all my locos, they may be a little more expensive, but i think they will be worth it Misngth

Thanks for the help guys
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread