Help needed for prototype based switching layout
Bronx Terminal!

Check this out, Bronx had loads of block size terminals! My favorite is the largest of them as it had space enough for team tracks. I would however make a few changes like replacing the huge scraper of warehouse (not seen here but on the photos on the web site) with a pair of Walthers American Hardware supplys connected with City Classics Smallman parts to mimic the Construction of the warehouses on Bush Terminal and add adding little more space so you could add non rail street scene with another ware house, perhaps the one offerd by Atlas. Also I would use a bit larger switching unit to run on it too, like a SW1 or SW 7 or an Alco as slow speed operation is a must. Right now sound equpped Atlas Alco H 600 or Broadlines EMD switcher is on my mind and an H600 was used on it in the later years.

Using several barges that are removed and added will be like cassettes with freight cars on and off and several Buildings could be replaced with plastic kits reworked for new uses or beef up things a bit. I could use Walthers kits all together and I guess refiddeling with track plan has to be done by then but it will still look quite convincing. Dont forget the seagulls and their droppings!

I would add a one foot extra on the background for a street scene with run down housing and more warehouses to tie the scenes together. Era, late fifites and early sixites will keep the trucks in smaller size and display loads of colorful cars of that era on impromptu parking on some empty space and that will justify the use of a regular sized switcher on the layout. Adding sound and DCC will do loads here, not just on the engine but having a seamless soundtrack of usual city noise, ship hornes and few screaming seagulls will make this layout alive. This can be done by mixing an mp4 on Movie Maker which is an app you can download for free and is pretty easy to use. making a general soundtrack of 10-15 minutes will not be as nerve wrecking as having a short one.

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/lvbxt.html

[Image: lvbxtproperty1942.jpg]

Here is the photo of the whole railroad!

[Image: lvbxtaerial1957.jpg]

I would skip the freeway all together keeping the the uncompleted bridge scene way back as a end piece and the elevated high way would be replaced with a street and fronts of warehouses, rundown public housings and a seedy bar. This would give opportunity to make the space more cramped but also make some mini scenes, like a few drunks, a lady or two of ill repute trying to earn some money, lods of litter and a few parked trucks waiting their turn to load at the freight house or the box car which is underway on the river. After all, this is not the fancy side of the city.... Note in the far end there is another RR companys terminal, yet much smaller.

Messages In This Thread