Hobbycal Decal Paper
Ralph Wrote:I can concur with Don's statement about matching black. I tried making white letter decals for black hoppers and the decal black was much deeper and shiner than the hopper sides. I tried using weathering chalks to mask the difference but it was a no go.
Having never tried this process, my first though is, spray a clear flat ( like dullcote ) over the car side, any decal "shine", should almost vanish.
Even with the Alps printer and their white ribbons, there is still shine to the decal film.

The ' Shinnecock Hills Lumber Company ' decals on the 2-6-6-2T, and caboose, were done with the Alps printer.

The lack of replacement Alps white ribbons, and the expense, make using "white background" decal paper, and an ink jet printer a viable option. Just one question: I print the background ( car/loco/whatever ) color first, then select "white" for the font color and print the letters.......does this second step "remove" the first color , where the letters are ?, so the white background can be seen.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread