HO scale Helix - laying track
Hey everyone,
it's been awhile since I was on here last. I've torn down the old layout and started making way on a much, much larger layout. I'm in the process of building a double decker layout using a helix...and I've run into a few issues. Wallbang I want to use code 83 Shinohara flex track to make a double main with a 26" and 28" radius. Here's the dilema. First off, should I put cork roadbed down under the track, or just spike the track directly to the MDF? I've never worked with it before and I don't want to screw up a $400.00 Helix.
I've talked with a few local hobby stores and all the responses are the same. They suggest I use Bachmann EZ track, which would end up costing me about $250.00. No offense to Bachmann users, but I don't want to spend that much money on pre-ballasted track, especially since I can buy ALOT of flex track for that amount of money.
Seoncdly, is there a tool or a way that I can lay flex track while making sure I can get the exact curveture? I don't want to start running trains and find out the hard way that two auto rack trains went "bump" in the middle of the helix.
If anybody can help out with this situation I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to take the "easy" way out, especially if it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg.
Thanks

Messages In This Thread