Some drawbacks of multi-level layouts...
The main thing to learn from you experiment is that we underestimate the sky's role in scene composition. We put a lot of effort on scene and backdrops, but don't really care about empty blue sky expanse above it, cropping it as if it were unimportant.

In the end, your photographs tell us something about the importance of sky. We tend to overlook that critical aspect too often. For us, it's just useless empty space, but in fact, I feel it is truly define a space and can modulate our perception of vastness. This is a key point in model railroading where selective compression and very limited horizontal space make us take a lot of shortcuts. If we are now cutting the sky, what is left than can carry the impression of distance? Once again, I think we go for the obvious and cherry pick what feels extraordinary and suits our fancy. As if sky, which makes a huge portion of our visible horizon was mundane and not worth modelling to create a realistic space.

I feel sad to see those wonderful scenes I loved to watch become sandwiched by two bulky plank of MDF. I salute your courage and willingness to share your observation. I think many of us were aware of that shortcoming, but didn't fully grasp how it can be determining for the future operation, maintenance and photography of a layout. At least, knowing you, I'm sure you'll find a smart way to minimize the impact. And, I'll be honest, I'm curious to see these new scenes take shape on the newly built deck in the future!

A suggestion: wouldn't it be easier to install blue sky panels (or white) under the deck? It will hide the frame, will be amovible for maintenance and will help enhancing the light reflection. All that without destroying the fine scenery under.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread