GEC's Layout Progress
Some Recent Progress-

Orange Juice Train

Thanks for the link!

Those Misspelled cars are everywhere. Apparently, the Chinese do not have English spell check, and I had to twice return a Tropicana car because of the misspelling, although the "last" attempt, I actually got the right spelling and paid less than half the MSRP for the car, so maybe I got lucky!

I'm down to just needing three more cars in the 1979 series- 532, 540, and 584. If you happen to spot these, and the word "Orange Juice" is correctly spelled (not Orance Juige), let me know! Hopefully, when the new run of these cars comes out, I'll be able to snatch them up quickly! 24 cars would make a decent Unit train for a model railroad.

Trailvan Progress

I've picked up a few new flat cars, trailers and containers.

Thank you Bruce for the additional Flat cars and trailers!

In the flat car department, I have managed to swipe a pair of athearn Genesis F89Fs for a steal price, though one had the same road number as another I had. I suspect careful application of black paint will transform my doubled #153228 into #153223. If that fails, I have some TTX decals on order with the LHS.

I also managed to acquire three more Atlas Flush-deck TTAX flatcars, and two new F89Js by BLMA, which are also nice cars. They don't seem ultra common in the Trailvan photos I have, but they are there.

In addition to some locomotives, Bruce ( bdw9535) gave me a few of the old Athearn flat cars undecorated, as well as a pair of 45' trailers, in N&W and Southern (interesting pairing!). These are based on the flush deck types like the Atlas model, but are shortened to 85'. My plan is to try and find the "F85B" class bodies, since the flatcar kits are Identical apart from their decks. Might make an interesting project! I'm also exploring some of the other 85' classes of flat cars.

New GP35s

The main purchase was a pair of new GP35s, undecorated. I plan to model Ex-Reading Company 3640, and ex-Erie Lackawanna 3660.

The 3640 was a no brainer for me, since this GP35 was the only such locomotive to be painted in Reading's last paint scheme, all Dark Green with Chevrons. Only the GP40-2s, GP39s, and a few switchers received this paint out of the factory.

[Image: pictures%5C48577%5C3640%209-8-79.jpg]

Ex-EL 3660 was a little more luck. I referred to my Amtrak New York Division Dispatcher sheet, to see which GP35s might have been running on the NEC on the day of June 3, 1979. It appears that 3660 was the ONLY GP35 on the Northeast Corridor that day, sandwiched between a B23-7 and a U25B on a freight at night.

Fortunately, 3660 was patched "well", and doesn't offer any painting challenges. The only major detail that stands out, is the different inertial air filter hatch on the roof of the EL units, but Cannon makes this part easy.

[Image: 16981739422_6254311555_b.jpg]

In the future, I'm looking to find a B23-7, and maybe do a few PC-patched and Conrail Blue GP38s and GP40s, but thats a long ways off.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread