An OMI brass caboose - also a good model?
First of all I removed all original brake parts, bolsters and cross bearers received fillers from styrene for avoiding the free perspectives under the frame.
And I mounted a new brake cylinder, a part made by Red Caboose.

[Image: nw_caboosecg-06k.jpg]

Next picture was shown in a other thread already but it must be here inserted again - the new brake gear.
This was a work how all my other brake installations also however with one extension - the slotted guide as a replacement part for short chains how they are used in regularly cases as connection from hand brake to brake cylinder lever. However this guide is exactly built after the blue prints of this caboose and it was a very complicate to be built part. I have begun six times with this part without to have an usable result. At end this is the eighth attempt which I could use here.

[Image: nw_caboosecg-07k.jpg]

Here the brake was mounted onto underbody and all supplementary parts are added, lever guides (or lever carriers how I have read in an older Car Builders Cyclopedia?) and the connection pipe from main line to brake cylinder. All these parts are riveted onto frame or I use additional to CA glue small wire bolts which are pressed into pre-drilled holes. So it looks like real rivets and I hope for stable fixed parts without damages while "playing" after finishing.

[Image: nw_caboosecg-13k.jpg]

A look with the old original brass trucks while the new ones are yet on their way over the Great pond.

[Image: nw_caboosecg-14k.jpg]

Here again this picture in an enlarged view.

[Image: nw_caboosecg-14kk.jpg]

Sorry for my own lovingness however it was a complicated work and it was the most detailed brake which I have built. Here you see also how I built the cross lever for the hand brakes, shortened - however without a radical cut off how the builder it has done on original model. (On left end of frame is seen the builder sign still!)

Next step will be some smaller modifications on body and after I will show some new pictures again.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread