Freelance 2016-1
The new planted trees had a lighter green color than the other bought some weeks before. They looked in the real light far to light.
I thought it must be easy to "repaint" them being a total novice doing nature.
My first choice was a can of dark green. It worked great but looked lousy. The trees lost the 3-dimensional and looked flat. Next try was a light spray of light green to get light green tips on a dark green tree. Failure again, I got a solid dull looking light green something.

1. Lesson learned: Solid paint is not suitable to get natural shades of leaves.

I got a can of spray glue and and Woodland medium green turf. That is about the color I need. The application went fine (first time "making" of a tree) but the result was not as expected. the solid turf was better than paint but not as good as the bought trees. Next try was blended turf used for weed etc. That was about what I expected.

2. Lesson learned: Solid turf lacks the variations of mother nature

[Image: 24606234719_33fe54f758_c.jpg]IMG_4812 by faraway52, on Flickr

The new trees covered with blended turf.
[Image: 24947534056_78c8f0298d_c.jpg]IMG_4811 by faraway52, on Flickr

They are fine now but there is another fundamental problem with my first attempts to model nature.
It is far to technical. I have a two component construction made of 1) grass and 2) trees. That is not the way nature looks. Even the most simple scenery is composed of at least 10 components.
This photo borrowed from Henry Dell at Flickr shows the variety used by nature for the simplest scenery. It is a long way from shoe boxes to green gras .... :o

[Image: 14066477502_f58717ec79_c.jpg]Grass Running by Henry Dell (Elchlok), on Flickr
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread