My expierience with big locos
The next step was the "electrification" of the whole loco.

[Image: dsc09907brpag.jpg]
Here it startet out with making the additional pick ups needed for an hassle free operation. Further the loco should be disassembled an reassembled without the need for an soldering iron. Therefor all disconnection points were equipped with plugs.
The pick up wipers were made out of 0.3mm bronze wire.
Left on the botton of the photo is the rear bottom plate, the rearward end facing to the left.
Above the bottom plate of the front engine, here the rear end is facing to the right.
Above middle and right each half of a tender truck. The connectors will be explained later.
For insulating purposes stripes of 0.3mm styrene sheets were glued with CA onto. The wipers of the insulated side were soldered onto stripes of 0.15mm bronze.

[Image: dsc099101crhh.jpg]
Here the mounted wipers are shown. All black wires were soldered to for advanced hiding.
Making it some harder to sort the unions, but it's at least invisible. 8-)

[Image: dsc09908cupd3.jpg]
A look onto the orderly chaos.
The white plastic profiles glued into the corners of the cutout of the boiler were to limit the turn of the front engine. This also prevents the telescoping steam pipes and the universal joints to slip out of their counterparts during handling of the loco.
The boiler also was filled with lead in every aspect. Until now a weight of 1.3kgs (app. 46oz) was reached (loco only without tender).

[Image: dsc09911yzuz9.jpg]
The hollow cab was closed with a piece of brass sheet. It is removable and not detailed yet. So perhaps when i get mad and will get the brass parts, i will go to detail the cab interior Crazy

[Image: dsc09912foug1.jpg]
The reassembled tender trucks.

[Image: dsc09913mbuzp.jpg]
The reassembled front engine.
In the piece of shrink tube is the resistor for the front headlight. The leads are soldered to an plug.
There also is an second plug with wires from the pick ups.

[Image: dsc099143vu7j.jpg]
The rear engine.
A socket with wires leading to the pick ups and 2 further wires into; remember photo 2 in this post.
A further socket with wires disappearing into the mechanism.

[Image: dsc09915h9ulp.jpg]
And so it connects all together.

Cheers Lutz

Messages In This Thread