My expierience with big locos
Hello,

the next thing was to make the diaphragm sprung action. O.k. it is very simple to fix a suitable into the tunnel, but ...

[Image: dsc00188e4ssu.jpg]
The "but" are the guide rods for the diaphragm. They start as sections of 0.8mm brass rods. On one end M1.2 threads were cutted.

[Image: dsc00189dns5c.jpg]
Because this head primarily was made for anothe type of tender, i could not use the original fixing points moulded on. I had to set the upper fixtures somewhat lower. Otherwise they were above the level of the tender deck.
And the guiding rods went right into the coal bunker. That does not really matter, because there will be later a false bottom fixed into for not coaling the whole bunker but only the upper portion.

[Image: dsc0019014skf.jpg]
That was the first try. The ends of the rods were bent in an 90° angle an flush counter-sunk into the 0.5mm strene sheet. To became flush the angled portion was filled down.
The bores had eventually to be enlarged up to 1.5mm to allow enough play for the diaphragm head can take angled action to create a continuosly closed apperance.

[Image: dsc00191v3sqh.jpg]
It seemed to work.

[Image: dsc00192x1scu.jpg]
But at least it was clearly a failure. Nope
The rods did'nt stay in their sunk holes.

Let's think again :ugeek:

Cheers Lutz

Messages In This Thread