MDC/ROUNDHOUSE locomotive rebuilds
Finally I can get back to working on the last of these engines (unless I find more)
About a month ago I gave the CPR 4-6-0 to a fellow modeller to see about adding a DCC decoder into it. He suggested to leave it as is because I had already painted and weather it as well as the fine gear mesh would make shimming the motor to isolate it impractical. I do, however plan to Decoder the 2-8-0 and started to look into the drivetrain over this past weekend.
[Image: DSCF6028_zpswjs7mevf.jpg]
This is the frame from the 4-6-0 that I got the drive out of.
[Image: DSCF6030_zpsnskucasp.jpg]
this is the frame from the 2-8-0. The 4-6-0 is an older version, using screws to connect the main and side rods. The 2-8-0 is a newer version using plastic pins to do the same. You will also notice that the old frame has a slot for mounting the motor/compound gear assembly but the new frame only has a single hole.
[Image: DSCF6031_zpszsjiwhia.jpg]
The 2-8-0 that I bought was missing the motor/compound gear assembly but I managed to get the assembly out of the parts engine. However even though the gears are the same the mount is different. It appears as though it makes the gear ride too low, jamming the mechanism. But this might be a blessing in disguise as I have to add a styrene shim under the assembly anyway to isolate the motor for dcc.
I'll be checking with my DCC friend over the weekend and continue from there.

Messages In This Thread