The story of four medium sized Rio Grande locos
Second Chapter

A friend of mine saw the K-59 Mikado running and sounding and impulsively decided he has need for a K-59 too. Two weeks before he has purchased an D&RGW Pacific type brass loco which looks very similar, Rio Grande classified these 4-6-2s in the P-44 class. He came towards to me with this little Pacific to get it converted to DCC. I examimated this loco what to do with and impulsively decided i have need for one P-44 too.
We had great luck as there was just a "cattle cycle" with this particular brass locos and we found a wide choice of the models simultaneosly on the market for brass models. So we made our choices and a further K-59 and also a P-44 made the way across the big pond.

[Image: dsc01302yzs9j.jpg]
This is my bargain choice out of the relatively widespreading offerings. The loco was painted an decaled and this job was pretty done. Even the cab was glassed. The front headlight was cored and a micro bulb place into it.
The only thig i did here was painting the wheel rims and the edgs of the running boards white according to prototype photos.

So decoders, speakers, and a replacement motor fpr the K-59, which still had a open frame, were ordered.

[Image: dsc01463xopq7.jpg]
When all the ordered parts were delivered i started what i have never done before, a simultaneous converting of 3 locos.
Upper the P-44 of my friend.
Middle the P-44 of mine.
Below the K-59 of my friend.
Both P-44 Pacifis retained their original Sagami motors as there were very good runners. The rubber tubes were replaced by articulated drive shafts with unversal joints, configurated out of A-Line parts (i ran out of NWSL parts).
The K-59 Mikado, here the open frame motor was replaced by an 1830 Mashima can motor. the drive shaft were also from A-Line.
All gear boxes were removed, demounted, all of the old sticky grease was cleaned out, new fresh greas filled in, all bearings proper oiled and all was reassembled.
For all three locos torque levers for the gearbox were made.

[Image: dsc01464copsl.jpg]
The multiple chaos on it's way. Here the current pick ups for locos and tenders were made.

[Image: dsc014656dr5e.jpg]
Much chaoting with all black wires and inscrutable parts.

[Image: dsc014676sro4.jpg]
Some progress is visible.

[Image: dsc01468j6ow9.jpg]
The Mikado has plastic brake shoes and there is no hassle with avoiding shorts.

[Image: dsc01469vooxz.jpg]
The two Pacifis were more finicking. Here the brake shoes were all brass and not insulated, so i had to grab deeper into my bag of tricks.
At least at all three locos, all of the drivers and all of the tender wheels got current pick up wipers.

[Image: dsc01470e0qgt.jpg]
Here the tender trucks of the unpainted Pacific got wipers.

[Image: dsc014718oqzx.jpg]
The wire loom for the tenders is made, here representatively shown on the unpainted tender.

[Image: dsc01472i6o41.jpg]
Headlight and back up light on the tender were coiled and tiny warm white 0402 type LEDs installed. I used here the ones with the ultra thin flexible stranded wire with Teflon insulating.
The main frame was painted matte black, especially the section behind the drivers. So they have not to be revoved when painting the loco.

To be continued

Cheers Lutz

Messages In This Thread