Freelance 2017-1
ESU is historically a Maerklin add on supplier. The substandard motor control was no big issue because Maerklin customers and motors are very different from what we are used to. And last not least while 99% of model railroaders have the ability of perfect rivets counters are at least 75% some kind of deaf to minor noise. To be fair I have to admit that it is no problem at a larger layout operated by several people running several trains. Those of us with the tiny ISL in quite rooms and the engine immediate in front of us are the victims.
ESU will invest in better motor control when their new customers complain. But the fora postings about the new ESU clients (Rapido, Intermountain, Athearn etc.) praise the high quality sound. The motor control issue is rarely mentioned.
I am not very optimistic after I had a very long phone and email conversation with ESU developers at Lokpilot and Loksound version 2 time many years ago.

I am awaiting the DC only GP10 hoping it has a dummy plug on the 21 pin connector and I can just plug the Tsunami in and add the speaker. Good news is the engine arrived at Erlanger this morning.
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread