N&W Caboose Lighting -or- When One Thing Leads to Another...
Troubleshooting
After finding that the capacitor mule still flickered as badly as before, it became apparent that I had a mechanical contact issue. One of the three contact points was suspect:
- wheel-rail
- axle-wiper
- wiper-kingpin screw
Tightening the kingpin screw snuggly against the wiper solved most of the problem, but created one obvious issue: the trucks couldn’t turn
and one less obvious issue: the trucks were slightly out of square, so only three of four wheels was making good contact with the rail (note the slight gap on the left most wheel).

[Image: p694041315-3.jpg]

Research
The situation reminded me of an article I read, I think in Model Railroader, sometime in the past 10 years on improving wipers.

The gist of it was this:
- buy brass tubing with .1” inside diameter
- Cut the tube slightly shorter than the axle on your wheelset (assumes metal axles Wink )
- File the tubes in half so they ride on the axle
- Solder the tubes for an axle set to a phosphor bronze strip and drill and kingpin hole in it.
The idea is to increase the contact surface area. Sorry, no pictures. I started down this path, until finding the resolution in the next section.

Another interesting resource I stumbled across was the page at this link (interesting site, by the way), which gave me ideas for later…

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.1905railroadmodeling.com/tender_wipers/">http://www.1905railroadmodeling.com/tender_wipers/</a><!-- m -->

Resolution
I solved both the kingpin and the wheel contact issue by making the wiper into a spring where the kingpin screw passes through (I used my Kadee trip pin adjustment pliers). This allowed two benefits:
- It gave the truck a suspension of sorts – the trucks can now pitch and roll. Wheels stay on rail for good tracking and electrical contact.
- Constant contact between the kingpin screw and wiper, even in the above conditions. More contact improvement.
[Image: p1069098081-3.jpg]

98% Success!
I mounted the trucks with the modified wipers on my original caboose and found solid lights! No capacitors, no resistors, just a better engineered pickup system!

The caboose with this configuration would still flicker it’s lights across some frogs. Not bad, but then I remembered that 1905 site listed above, and my project got ready to take off on it’s third tangent.

More later,

Matt
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Messages In This Thread