Trainspotting Questions
Brakie Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:Yes, RJ Corman - spelling was corrected in initial post by not accepted by forum software.

According to their website, they are a Kentucky shortline. I couldn't find any reason why their empty boxcars would be part of a BNSF northbound freight haul, and since I'm not a fan of modern rail;roads, I thought I would ask those who are.

Probably just got lost.

Thanks for the response.

First R.J.Corman has short lines in Kentucky,Tennessee,Ohio, Mississippi, Pennsylvania and West Virginia..

The boxcar was probably a empty being returned to home rails.You see the car was loaded on one of Corman's short line and the receiver was on another road-maybe the BNSF...You see loaded freight cars travel far from home rails through interchange.This is how a CSX car gets lined hauled by the UP,NS or any road.It may even end up at a receiver in San Francisco or get loaded on the CSX in Baltimore and end up at a warehouse in Miami served by CSX so,the car didn't leave home rails--this load.Next load could be to a warehouse/industry served by R.J.Corman NS,CN or any road...
See how it works?

I never saw these particular cars before, and it's odd, as I posted elsewhere, to see empties heading that particular direction, keeping mind as well that the trackage is owned and maintained by UP but operated on almost solely by BNSF. I simply attributed it to a change in freight shipping patterns.

As I said, modern operations are not of great interest to me, except as they reflect trends on a greater scale.

Messages In This Thread