Stein's Minneapolis Warehouse district 1957 (HO)
As you guys might have noticed, progress on my layout has been glacially slow lately. I've needed the time to screw up my courage to take down what I have done and and start over again in a better way.

What I had done initially was to be so eager to get going that I had put up a couple of shelf brackets, and then put two L-girder across all the shelf brackets, and then glued styrofoam (the blue kind) directly to the L-girders. I didn't even put any joists (cross members) across the two L-beams before gluing the styrofoam to the L-girders , and what I ended up with for the first half of my layout looked like this:

[Image: old_bench.jpg]

[Image: corner01.jpg]

When I extended the layout to the last two walls, I at least put in joists - but I still had way too many joists, and I had the foam glued directly to the joists.

[Image: DSCN3477.JPG]

I over time discovered that I had made a bad error of judgement here. It was hard to work on wiring and turnout control mechanisms (since I had to work upside down under the bench, in the space between the layout shelf and the storage shelves below the layout, and it was hard to fasten a fascia well to the first part of the layout (the part missing the joists).

After a re-evaluation, I finally have decided that I don't want to keep trying overcome the effects of bad initial bench work planning.

I want to make the baseboard of the layout as a set of hollow sections, so I could take out one and one section to work on it comfortably in good light conditions, both for the initial work, and for later maintenance, changes and additions (e.g. when I get to adding lights to buildings and suchlike).

So today I finally made the leap, and it took merely an hour and a half to disassemble most of my layout down to a level where I can start rebuilding it in a better way.

Rough idea about how to build the sections so as many as possible has a fairly standard length easy to handle for a single person (40-46" long, 15-24" deep) and not too many turnouts will need to be located across the section boundaries:

[Image: warehouse52b.jpg]

I am hoping to pick up the plywood I need to make sectional baseboard units during the next week, and start rebuilding next weekend.

Smile,
Stein

Messages In This Thread