Getting started airbrushing?
Hi Amanda, Sorry I didn't see your postings before. I realize youmhave already bought your airbrush but I thought I'd show you my setup.

I've been airbrushing for over 30 years and was pretty much self-taught with the exception of an old Model railroader video done in the late eighties that got me started.

These are two of my thre airbrushes, a Pasche Model 'h' and a Badger 200. I use the Pasche for solvent-based paints and the Badger for water-based acrylics. I don't like to mix the two up in case there's some residue left behind in either airbrush. The Model H is a really good workhorse, easy to clean and fairly sturdy.. It's also an external mix airbrush. I keep a medium tip on it as it's mostly used for over-all coverage on a model, not weathering.

The Badger is an internal mix with a fine tip. I also have a second Model 200 with a medium tip. I use the fine tip for weathering and blending in colors. You can almost draw with it.
However, it requires a bit more care with cleaning as you have to dissassemble it to clean it properly.

You might notice that I don't have a double action airbrush. I personally don't like them too much. I don't need to change the paint flow mid-spray and they are comlicated to clean afterwards.

My airbrush compressor. I bought it off Ebay about 6 years ago. It will maintain 30psi while I'm spraying and has both a regulator and water trap. I live in a near desert environment so I've never had any water in my lines but in my humid climates, you'd want one.

My paint booth. I inherited it for another modeller so I don't know it's make. it has a squirel cage fan in the back with sucks air out through a furnace filter. Sorry for the mess, I'm in the middle of a project.
You can see that I have a lazy susan on the bottom of the booth.

Attached to the outlet of the fan is a dryer hose that runs to my basement window. I have an older window with two sliders. I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood that rests in the tracks on tinner slider. There is a hole that the dryer hose inserts and when I paint I simply open the outer winder slider and the fumes vent to the outside. 

This is a paint stand made by Tamiya. It's go alot of miles on it. you can either rest a model on the wire holers or you can wedge the wire holders inside a model (like a boxcar)

This is my other holder. I bought it at Princess Auto, the Canadian Version of Harbour Freight.

Now I did mention that I have airbrushes for both solvent bases and acrylic based paints. The Vast majority of my painting is done with acrylics as  I have developed some mild asthma and the acyrils are easier on me. The water bases acrylics are also much easier for cleanup.
I hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
Getting started airbrushing? - by Amalynn - 03-30-2024, 02:53 PM
RE: Getting started airbrushing? - by jim currie - 03-30-2024, 06:11 PM
RE: Getting started airbrushing? - by Charlie B - 03-30-2024, 08:23 PM
RE: Getting started airbrushing? - by Amalynn - 04-12-2024, 12:57 PM
RE: Getting started airbrushing? - by cnrglen - 04-14-2024, 10:51 AM
RE: Getting started airbrushing? - by cnrglen - 04-14-2024, 11:35 AM
RE: Getting started airbrushing? - by Amalynn - 04-15-2024, 01:07 PM
RE: Getting started airbrushing? - by jim currie - 04-15-2024, 02:32 PM
RE: Getting started airbrushing? - by cnrglen - 04-16-2024, 09:35 PM
RE: Getting started airbrushing? - by Amalynn - 04-17-2024, 05:06 AM