New British Layout -- Open to Feedback
Rob,

The frustrations you are running into now, are the same I was discovering as I sketched some ideas for you. Barring an elevation change, it's a very limiting size and shape.

UNLESS you clearly define a theme or concept that works with tight curves and limited length. As mentioned previously, Rev. Awdry's landmark Thomas the Tank Engine layout (v.1) was a 4x6, essentially, but he incorporated staging behind a very low (20 cm?) 'backdrop' and essentially followed that classic brit op scheme, the small branchline station and community.

You are also encountering a similar dilemma to what I'm facing in my own garage...the desire to run longer and more varied equipment changes the parameters for planning. I could get steep twisty mountain grades with little mining towns and spectacular scenery OR mainline running in some sort of division point operating scheme, but NOT both in the same layout without serious compromise one way or the other, if such blending is even possible.

What you've got now really doesn't look bad at all other than the need you've already pointed out for more scenery. What's wrong with it that you want to see changed? What isn't it doing for you?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread