Ocalicreek's Garage Layout Planning Thread
I've hit upon a concept that might just resonate well enough to guide the rest of the planning...we'll see. Basically it's urban West Virginia. Yes, there is such a thing, and no, I've never seen it modeled well. The really good urban layouts seem to be based in the NE somewhere or SoCal, and the really nice Appalachian or southern layouts don't really feature mountainous urban scenery. I think this has much to do with the fact that there were few photographers who ventured back into the hills to photograph such places as Elmore and Mullins along the VGN.

WV has very little flat land or straight track, and many cities are built in river valleys, often extending up the mountainsides. These places were considered the 'big city' by many folk who lived back in the hollows. Before the interstate the railroad was the best way to get to town and back. Big roads like the N&W, C&O, VGN, etc. were the interstates of the day, with branchlines extending off to the small communities.

I may model such a city, tucked into a small, tight valley cut by a swift mountain river. Phase 1 would be predominantly main line through the nicer end of town where the main passenger station is located then through a transition area from high income victorians to low income housing. This would run the full 19' length of the garage with a turn at each end extending 4' from the wall. Switching would be minimal - crossovers for the passenger station along a section of double track, narrowing to single track where the gorge gets tight through a small tunnel and over a steel trestle. An REA building or LCL freighthouse would sit near the passenger station, along with a spur to a major industry, like a long-established furniture factory or something similar, something that would have been there since the town began to boom early in the century.

Phase 1 would include a return track extending out into the room creating a large O with duckunder section. This would be minimal trackage; a few long double ended sidings to stage trains. Eventually Phase 2 would replace this staging with a large yard and full engine facilities and perhaps a few more industries.

One scene you won't see is the typical downtown main street cliche. It is certainly modelgenic, but it's one reason I've never seen a mountainous layout work well...the same old DPM & Magnusen models buildings lined up behind a station isn't the look I'm after. It can be done really well but I think I'll go a slightly different tack to achieve a more unique look.

Phase 1 would allow me to get trains up and running quickly, then devote most of my time to creating structures and finishing the small hobby shop of unbuilt rolling stock kits stashed away for a rainy day. Trackwork may cost less as turnouts are fewer without a major yard. Lumber cost will be high up front, but it's still cheaper than a nice brass engine so I won't complain.

If by the time Phase 1 is well underway and even close to completion (a few years from now) we have decided that cars really have no place in the garage and we were foolish to think otherwise, then Phase 2 could even be expanded to include a turnaround loop or branch line, but that's eons away.

Whaddya think?

Anybody come up with any plans or other ideas? Come on, don't be shy.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread