logging 4-6-0
4-6-0's were generally known as good 'dual purpose' engines. Are you planning on hauling any passengers?

Just a few cents worth...I second the Casey Jones suggestions.

I can't seem to recall if it was the Little River Logging outfit or some other, but I think it was back in the Carolinas they ran a very small 4-6-2 Pacific! A google search would probably turn up more info. I've never seen any pacific outside of brass that isn't USRA. Even the 'light' pacifics might be too heavy over the drivers for logging rail.

But, if you're into kitbashing or heavily modifying steam, then bringing the offset driver spacing on the Casey Jones closer together may just get you room for a trailing truck. It makes sense on a logging road since turning facilities took space and were often permanant features whereas so many logging branches were temporary until the area was logged out. The trailing trucks would provide better steering in reverse and serve that purpose moreso than supporting any additional firebox width/weight. This is why the 2-6-6-2's, 2-8-2's, 2-6-2's etc. had that '2' on either end of the driver number.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread