Stein's Minneapolis Warehouse district 1957 (HO)
ocalicreek Wrote:The shelf system you are using...are you developing your own system or basing it off a published technique? I began to use something similar in my previous garage under the timesaver. The benefit for me was the strength the double slotted channels and strong brackets offered for holding up large quantities of magazines (Trains, Railfan, MR, RMC, etc.)

Sorry about the slow reply - I somehow managed to miss your reply. My shelf system is kinda a weird mix, and wildly overbuilt.

Brackets are standard double slotted channels with fairly long (18" ?) brackets. But for some reason I started adding L-girders made from 1x2" pieces of wood across those brackets (ie along the wall) to distribute weight.

My actual modules are made (in the style Ian Rice recommends) from hollow "platforms" made of 1/4" plywood (with 1/2" plywood for the top of the hollow platforms), sitting on top of those L-brackets. I could have rested these hollow platforms directly on the brackets (without the L-girders in between), but I figured that since I alredy had the L-girders up, I didn't feel like taking them down and taking down the shelves above and below the layout to relocate the double slotted channels and shelf brackets to the boundary points between my sections.

Not so sure if that made any sense - it is a hot day here in Minnesota today (for a Norwegian on vacation).

I won't be able to do much with the layout for the next three weeks, until we get back home. But at least I picked up four nice 40' boxcars that will fit neatly into my theme and era today - two different road numbers for the MST&L and two different road numbers for the Omaha road. Looks nice and feels nicely weighted - am looking forward to getting them home and putting them on the layout :-)

[Image: cmo01.jpg]

[Image: mstl01.jpg]

Grin,
Stein, getting ready to go up north in Minnesota to catch some Walleye

Messages In This Thread