Help with layout design?
Hi Kevin,

Couple of comments here...

Can you please restate what the elements you want are? There's a bit of mainline running, a prototype of DMIR, some tunnel motors (maybe), continuous running (maybe)...? Please provide more info like minimum radius, acceptable grade (if any), train length desired, planned operations, etc.

Replacing a single level 20x10 with a two level (plus helix??) 20x10 is not going to be simpler or cheaper. I don't really see much of a difference between the two areas you've drawn.

Would the "non-train" stuff be able to fit under a shelf style layout that was (for example) 60" off the floor? That 10x10 blob might be easier to work with if it was stretched out in the form of a shelf that ran around the walls. On the other hand, there are layouts designed for 10x10 rooms (the usual MR "layout in a spare bedroom is typically this size), so you are not stuck for space.

My suggestion is to start drawing up the trackage for the parts you know you want (taconite mill, other industries, plus staging requirements (3 tracks?)) and see what suggests itself. You might want to try variations - i.e. mill on the straight, or in the corner - to see if there is one that's preferred over the other. Make sure you do this reasonably to scale - either use some graph paper or some track planning software to keep you "honest" Wink

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Messages In This Thread