Too soon for a fun contest???
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway

The railway was originally built in the 1860's to aid in the construction of the Toronto and Georgian Bay Ship Canal. Extending from the Port of Humber Bay on Lake Ontario, northwards along the Humber River and Holland River to Lake Simcoe. Skirting Lake Simcoe, it reconnects with the Canal in Barrie and continues North-West to Wasaga Beach via the Nottawasaga River to the Port on Nottawasaga Bay, Georgian Bay...

The idea was inspired by a notation on an old 1850's map of York {Toronto, Ontario, Canada} of the "Proposed Toronto and Georgian Bay Ship Canal". I looked it up and discovered "The Georgian Bay canal : reports of R.B. Mason, consulting engineer, and Kivas Tully, chief engineer : with an appendix, profile, and map" dated 1858.

You can read the whole report HERE

The Railway is Narrow 42-inch Gauge and serves a dual purpose. After the canal was completed, the railway is used to pull barges and ships through the canal; especially through the locks. It also serves as a common carrier branching out to nearby communities.

I am armchair modelling this line in my head. It was created in the 1860's, but I'd want to have it as an ultra modern line with european influences. Like the Meter Gauge RhB in Switzerland. Container and swap body shipping along with Ro-Ro operations. Maybe a monorail for passenger service too...
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog

Messages In This Thread