GEC's Layout Progress
I began working on casting the E44. This is an old 1968 brass shell from Alco models. The plan is to make a resin copy, then modify the copy to match the E44 more closely. As it stands, the Alco E44 (unlike my new Alpha E44A) is to short by a half inch (not sure what that translates in scale feet), not square enough, and is lacking some vents on the side. Also, plastic is just easier to work with as far as super detailing goes anyway. It also gives me the opportunity to build up a larger fleet of E44s for cheap, if i can produce a reasonable casting. I could also mount these shells (if made the correct prototype length) onto the Bachmann E33 chassis. the only problem after that would be pantographs!

In this photo i have all the holes, gaps, and grab irons that i did not remove filled with special blue clay that keeps casting silicone out of the model. I will also add a vent into the shell so that it does not rise up out of the silicone (this has already happened once, disastrously). Legos make a good customizable mold box.

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff001.jpg]

I'm not going to be trying to cast the E44A, it would be to much of a mess to do. That said, i could conceivably make my own E44As should i want more. We'll see where that goes.

I also am half finished with the silos for Magic Pan. all they need is their piping and other fittings. Vents and things will go on, then its on to adding decals and weathering the whole model.

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff011.jpg]

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff012.jpg]

Finally, my C32-8. i still do some truck side frames, and the under body detail, but its more or less put together. Its not looking as well as I'd like, but I'm sure i can fix that. The detail work is good, i just can't ever seem paint anything right.

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff030.jpg]

[Image: 81109modeltrainstuff029.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread