American Flyer Train Set? How much is it worth?
It always amazes me how many people clean out their attics and think they can retire on the bucks they make off eBay.
Some of the stuff they put there are worth big bucks, but won't fetch half what they get if they took it to a auction house like Southbys. True collectors don't browse ebay, except maybe for the fact that the can just say:"You want THAT MUCH for this. I saw the same thing on ebay for less than that." I always tell them: "Should of gotten it there then."

Being a NASCAR diecast collector, I browse ebay, just to see what people think they can get for a casting. True..some folks don't know what they have, and sell it for a low price, but others think just because "its a certain driver, its really worth this much, and thats what I'm going to get for it!". The only way its "worth that much", is the number of pieces that were manufactured, low numbers being the best, popularity of the driver, and whether it was bought at a diecast dealer, QVC, or it was a pegwarmer at Wal-Mart. Most think the pegwarmers are worth big bucks, just because "its a certain driver". But because they usually have huge production numbers, and are'nt the quality you get at a dealer or QVC, are worth no more than what you paid for it at Wal-Mart. I have pegwarmers that are at least fifteen years old, that are only worth a couple of dollars more than what I paid for them. And is only really worth, the same as a piece I pick up today. Doesn't matter who the driver is.

You also have to remeber, that "its only worth alot", to someone who really wants it.
Lets take that covered hopper Brakie posted for an example. Sure, its a nice piece, good shape, rare, but to me, its just going to be stuck behind a loco in a manifest train, or on siding on my layout, and so thinking that, to me its worth no more than another piece of rolling stock I pick up at my LHS. And thats all I would be willing to pay for it. Maybe, there is someone out there, that does nothing but collect rare out of production Athearn rolling stock, and is going to put it in a display case in his den. To him, its worth alot, and would be willing to pay the price for it.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.

Messages In This Thread