Island layouts
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:If your looking for something that won't ruin your security deposit, maybe a modual type design would be more to your liking. Maybe something on casters so you can roll it out the U-Haul when the time comes for you to relocate.

I expect 88-fan probably already knows this, but in case someone else isn't familiar with the difference between "section" and "module" :

A module has a standard edge profile with the track crossing the sides at fixed places, so the modules can be set up in random order and the tracks and edge profile of one module will still match up with the tracks and end profile of the next module, no matter which two modules are put next to each other.

Modules tend to take up more space than a custom designed layout, and tends to be less flexible than a custom designed layout - since they often are designed for some reasonably generous standard curve radius and some standardized type RR (e.g. with two mains across the front of all modules).

The great thing about modules is that if two (or ten or fifty) people all build one or two modules according to the same standard, they can get together in a school gym or some other big room and put those modules together to run on a big layout.

Like this one, from a H0 scale FREMO meet in Arendal, Norway in March 2008:
[Image: Oversikt%20Skuggevik%200814.jpg]

A section, on the other hand, doesn't put quite as many limitations on the track plan. A section is just a "chunk of layout" - it will only fit in the spot it was built to fit.

Building a layout in sections, so it easily can be disassembled into smaller parts for transport (without major trauma) is probably a good idea. From what I have heard, recommended section size is about 4 feet by 2 feet - something that size will fit through doors and around corners without too much struggle, even with a mountain on top of it Goldth

That's how I am rebuilding my own layout - split into seven sections (the seventh is the bridge scene across the door)
[Image: warehouse61b2.jpg]

Here is an very-early-in-process progress picture of one of my sections (with the weights on top of it) after the basic framework for that 48" x 25" section has just been assembled:

[Image: DSCN5724.jpg]

If you build your layout in sections, the seams between sections has to be hidden - but it can always can be touched up and re-hidden after the layout has been relocated to a new home.

Of course - a sectional layout may not be totally reusable in a new home. If the room in the new home is significantly different in shape or size, you might have to replace some sections, change some sections or build some "bridge sections" between two old sections in the new home.

But for me the main advantage of sections is that each section can be taken out of the layout room and worked on separately - that is a big bonus when you have kids with allergies that react to paint fumes - I can take each section out to work on it in my shed outside.

Grin,
Stein

Messages In This Thread