A few additions to my locomotive roster and a rebuild
Now even though I was very busy this summer I did manage to purchase a few more locomotives for my roster. My goal for my layout was to end up 8 to 10 CNR steam locomotives. Either by kitbashing some plastic locomotives or finding some more bass locomotives for a good price.

The first new addition to my roster is a CNR S-2 mikado. This one is new in the box and had only been test run. I will be installing a can motor in it along with DCC & sound. It may also get a new NWSL gearbox. The factory gearbox is a little noisy but I may be able to adjust it and cure the noise problem. I hope to paint this one soon. I am just waiting on the decoder and speaker to arrive so I can get to work on it.

The next addition to the roster was by pure luck. A friend informed me of a web site that had some estate sale items on it. One item was a brass CNR U-1-f mountain locomotive ( think 6060 ). I have been wanting a bullet nosed mountain for years but most I have seen for sale were going for a $1000 Cdn. Eek Way to pricey for me. I have a frame with drivers, valve gear, side rods ect for one but was never able to find the other 80% of the locomotive at swap meets. Sad

Needless to say the price was right for the estate sale 4-8-2 so I bought it. It was painted when I got it and did run well. It had a bit of gearbox noise and the factory can motor was a little rough running. When I stripped the paint I found a number of bad solder joints. Some have been repaired. My plans are to make this one a rebuild thread like my CNR 2-8-0.

The last locomotive I purchased was another one I have always wanted. A brass CNR H-6-g ten wheeler. I have always thought they are very nice looking little locomotives. This one was a super deal as I got it for $100 plus shipping. Now it was in rough shape and the owner was unsure how it ran. Seeing as brass CNR 4-6-0s always seem to sell quick and can be hard to come by I decided tio take a chance on it. This is one of the pictures I was sent.

Wayne Reid

Messages In This Thread