Stein's Minneapolis Warehouse district 1957 (HO)
Well, it has been five weeks since my last update on my layout construction. I have now finished the basic carpentry work on the six sections my layout will consist of, and has started gluing on 2" thick foam on the top of the modules.

Some of the things done lately:

1) I used a 1/4" router bit to cut slots in 3" tall ripped pieces of 1/4" plywood and then slotted the pieces together like this:

[Image: DSCN5722.jpg]

2) I tried to put in enough such pieces that I got no lengths longer than one foot that doesn't have a supporting vertical strip of plywood under - for some of the modules (like the one pictured below), even more vertical strips (due to a miscalculation about where a cutout needed to be ...):

[Image: DSCN5683.jpg]

3) Then a 1/4 plate of plywood went across the top of the honeycomb of vertical strips, helping to make the structure even more rigid (the honeycomb of 1/4" plywood fit into 1/4" slots is already very rigid before this step):

[Image: DSCN5724-1.jpg]

4) Now I am gluing on 2" blue foam on top of the sections - this will allow me to carve away the ground outside the RR tracks to create some dips and bumps on the landscape - the landscape won't be totally flat here:

[Image: DSCN5779.jpg]

Tomorrow or Friday I will need to pick up some more 2" blue foam. I have also picked up a handful of extra curved turnouts, and some Woodland Scenics 1/2" and 1" risers, plus 2% inclines, to be used to make the track go a little up and down along the lowermost wall.

Still haven't found a source of sculptamold in Norway. Hope I can find it in Sweden. If not, I'll just have to order some over the net from the US.

Smile,
Stein

Messages In This Thread