A few additions to my locomotive roster and a rebuild
When I set up the tender on my 2-8-0 and 4-6-2 for sound I drilled some holes in the tender floors where the speaker was going to be mounted. The bottom shot of the 4-6-2 tender below shows what I did.

The 2-8-0 has a oil tender so a down firing speaker was the only option. For the 4-6-2 I could have went with a upward facing speaker through the coal load but seeing as the tender was so small and the decoder was going in the boiler I went with another down facing speaker and used as big a speaker as possible. I would have prefered to have a down firing speaker in the ten wheeler tender but it would mean cutting up the coal bunker floor some more and the speaker box would cause problems with pushing the wiring harness connector through the front of the tender. With a little 0.025" styrene sheet I built a custom speaker box that fits in the coal bunker.

I prefer to use sealed plastic speaker boxes over using the tender body as it can be hard to seal all the air leaks in the tender. Most of all on this tender as it has a slot in the front so the wiring harness plugs can be shoved into the tender. I also find a sealed speaker box gives much better sound.

Wayne Reid

Messages In This Thread