GEC's Layout Progress
CURSES!

My E60MA #610, long one of my favorite models, is giving me endless trouble. A couple weeks ago, it was just a popped wire and some oil. then it was shorting out the decoder, now i think it blew my light bulbs, if not the decoder, and the decals began coming off, whole details detached, and some windows look like that got fogged somehow (i think some crystal cote got on them, but that is weird, since it has never hurt my windows in the past). I've fixed just about everything but the windows,

I devised a new decoder mounting method, and re did the wire-layout within the locomotive to avoid trouble again. I made sure to cover up the other windows that weren't sprayed yet (though i wish i could put new windows in there to), I re-attached all the details that crumbled off, touched up paint and decals, and crystal-coated the whole thing, which was a dramatic improvement in my book. I'll probably dull cote it though, just to tone it down a little.

the only real trouble is going to be the window glazing. Some of it i was able to get the fog out, but it still has a rippled look to it. I heard there is window glazing polish for models out there, so i was curious if anyone had any suggestions?

I'm using up windows meant for my other E60MA that i haven't started building yet, but i didn't permanently mount those windows into #610 so i can pull them out easily. Its going to be a problem getting new parts for this thing. The last ones were made in the late 80s by Walthers until they literally broke the mold. I got lucky one night and found to Ebay listings of American GK E60 parts, but i lost one of the bids and while i got the bigger more complete set, it only gave me one set of windows. I'd rather not buy a whole new E60 for the windows because that is a waste.

I'm not sure i could make my own windows either. How would i deal with the corners? I'm reluctant to try and mold the windows for these as well.

In other news, i'd like to start an AEM7-AC project soon. I think i can pull this off without having to pick up any "new" parts, just rearranging the ones i already have. The only problem i can see having, is that my unit is already painted in Phase V, and i'd hate to ruin the paint, but i do have chisel some molded on detail. I'm thinking of using the sharpest razors i have and getting it down as close as possible, i think I have a steady enough hand. I can find blue paint that will match.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread