New York Harbor Model Railroading
Thanks for all the positive response, guys.......

Stein, actually, the crossing diamonds are the achillies heel, if there is one, of the layout. I used Atlas products (should have handlaid them), and there is someserious finetuning I need to do to them for the track here to run reliably before operation begin. Yes, I might have forgotten to mention, this is all still being worked on. Al the track (well, most of it) runs and is wired, but we are not opp'ing yet. Much work to be done on the carfleet still, too before we can even get that far.

OK, some more photos before I have to go back to work..........

Here is one of what I am trying to capture on my layout, at least one end of it -
[Image: LV-FB-71.jpg]

This next one gives a better idea of how the float bridges will be situated. the drawing is to scale -
[Image: 100_0920.jpg]

This is the model that will be built of it. This is my friend Elliott Janofsky's model, it was featured in a past issue of the NMRA newsletter Scale Rails -
[Image: IMG_2089.JPG]

Here is another view of the main yard. there will be one more pier in this yard (behind the photographer) - [Image: CIMG0324.jpg]

Next is the end of the Edgewater Branch. The real branch was just a long industrial branch that was built along the Morris Canal in the early 1900's in Jersey City. It crossed the PRR at grade, but did not interchange with it. Thus, I had a reason for ANOTHER diamond crossing, and a place to park my PRR switcher - [Image: CIMG0331.jpg]

This next one is the Grand Street LCL Freight Station. This is built on it's own dedicated penninsula that I built for it. It will kepp one person busy all session, and can hold 25 cars when full. I wrote an article for the OpSIG Dispatcher's Office about how I plan to operate it last year -
[Image: 100_0911.jpg]

And last but not least is the West Yard. This was a small support yard located just inland from the main yard. It fed the Edgewater Branch and Grand Street yard. This first prototype picture is actually what inspired me to include it into the layout. It connected to the mainline and main yard by a wye. The image looks compass north towards the Holland Tunnel. The highway is the NJ Turnpike. Today, this is an empty lot -
[Image: 3_LV_WEST_YARD.jpg]

And here is my model of it, looking the opposite direction (south) -
[Image: MODEL-WEST-YARD-SOUTH.jpg]

All for now, have to finish up the days work.

RAH

Messages In This Thread