Stein's Minneapolis Warehouse district 1957 (HO)
steinjr Wrote:Choices are

1. A level three track yard at elevation 0.5" with a small 0.5 step to the barge terminal
or
2. Two level staging tracks at level 0.5" elevation along wall, main on raised 1" embankment between staging tracks and barge terminal
or
3. Let all three yard track rise around lower left hand corner, yard level at 1" along most of lower wall

So the main casualty of letting the main rise higher is that I either (if only main rises and the two tracks closes to the wall stay at elevation 0.5") lose the crossover at the right end of the main, just before the bridge, which costs me in operational capability, or (if all three tracks rises around lower left corner) get shorter yard tracks.

Having slept on it, I realize that there is a fifth choice (in addition to the 0.5" step with fence on top of wall Reinhard suggested):
5. Level three track yard at elevation 0.5", 4% (1") downgrade to a barge terminal at elevation minus 0.5".

4% incline is not so bad for a short ramp where cars will be pushed downhill and pulled up hill. Hmm - I don't think I can get 1" thick styrofoam here - we only seem to have the 2" thick kind. Wonder if I can cut the barge terminal area down about 0.5" with a knife if I rig up some kind of guide for the knife ?

Will have to experiment on some scrap foam.

Time to head down for my workout - maybe half an hour on the threadmill will give me more ideas (apart from "keep breathing" ... :-)

Grin,
Stein

Messages In This Thread