Kato Unitrack
I heartily agree with the links listed above...they're a great starting point for layouts and equipment.

I'd guess most modelers fit into two broad categories...those who model a specific area, branch, or division of a real railroad...and those who made their own layout plans that generally fit a time period, location, or design constraint. There's no single "right" answer to "what to model" in my opinion. Whatever you'd like to see, wherever that location might be, during whatever time period, is fine. The great thing about this hobby is that you can really do whatever you want.

Plus, the really great thing about this website is that no one will fault you for the design decisions you make or what you plan on running. I've read too many other forums where people, especially new to the hobby, are hit hard by critical comments from others condemning their efforts if it's not exactly like the prototype or doesn't meet certain design principles. Around here, you'll find information, encouragement, polite critique, and help. I'd be typing for hours trying to list all the great help, support, critique, ideas, and encouragement I've received from the great members of this forum.

So start with an idea...maybe a particular location you'd like to model, or time period. Decide what engines or cars you'd like to see running. Figure out the amount of space you'll need to execute your layout idea, then begin! There's plenty of quality manufacturers out there that offer more choices in track, equipment, digital command and control, scenery that will fit whatever you're trying to model. But most of all remember...this is your layout so make it the way you'd like it to be.
Welcome
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread