GG-1 Generator Car Powered
Ya know - that's more info than I knew before - thanks!

I've found a picture or two of the later years of the GG-1 wearing the newly formed Amtrak colors using a HEP car (Head End Power?). The info led me to believe the HEP engine was used to push the GG1 along between the breaks in the catenary. Although this doesn't make a lot of sense to me...I mean...why would you bother to use an electric engine along with a diesel engine? Wouldn't you loose money on that kind of lashup? Still, the claim on the photo mentioned this "HEP" car.

The reason I'm searching for this possible car is to model one that I could use on my layout to supply power to a fictional GG1 excursion train. The idea being, the "generator car" would be a stipped down diesel loco without the cab and would follow the GG1, supplying power to run it. I suppose, since this whole idea is fictional, I could just "claim" there's a generator car that can do this and leave it at that. But, if there's the possibility that there really was a generator car like this...I'd like to try to find it for a prototype to model.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread