The Union Pacific Elmwood Route
One of the downsides to building a layout like this is the lack of a overhead valance for lighting, like I had on the old shelf layout. Technically, you could build up the center supports and backdrop to be taller to support one, but I was trying to keep the height down to 24 or so for portability.

I already had a bunch of T4 fluorescent fixtures, so I wanted to reuse those. I also didn't want get to crazy with mounting them because this house is a leased house. I try not to put *too* many holes in the walls and ceilings. Smile

Since the garage door will rarely be opened, I came up with a simple plan: Use the garage door tracks. I simply laid two 48 fixtures in each track and secured them in with a velcro strap, and then two more at the front of the garage mounted to wall. A single switch (not shown) turns them on.

With this setup, if I ever do need to open the door, I can easily pull down the lights from the track and open it. The wall mounted ones are clear of the door and can stay up. I have about few more fixtures so I could even double up the lights to increase the output maybe.

I tried to take a before and after shot with the camera but it really didn't show a difference, but in person the lights really do help light up the front the garage (the other side is lit by the main ceiling fluorescent fixture).

While it won't be the awesome direct above the track lighting I had before, I think this is will get the job done.

[Image: IMG_3695.jpg] [Image: IMG_3696.jpg] [Image: IMG_3699.jpg]

Messages In This Thread