Looks like someone is planning on running trains
jglfan Wrote:Gary, my experience is I can run this car (from Tony's) after not having operated for a month and have no problems except occasional sound drop outs. This is with running the car dry, and one or two passes. The car has a valve you adjust to get a drop every five seconds or whatever. And a pad of something like cordoroy fabric. It runs over all my trackwork fine with the exception, of course, of a couple turnout throw wires which are too long in one position. I used Goo Gone several times and thought it was good. After a few years I was having problems and needed a very thorough track and wheel cleaning. Also, the Goo Gone hurts traction, trains which had no problems on the hidden 2% grade when the track was dry could not make the grade after a cleaning, for maybe two days! Starting with clean track and wheels, I have now only run dry track cleaning trains with no problems. Once in a while I use an old tee shirt to rub rails, usually turnouts. In addition to Tony's car I have the, is it Centerline? I like it too, but find the handi wipe style cloth harder to replace than the cordoroy pad on Tony's. I also have a few Athearn boxcars running around with masonite blocks hanging beneath.

Thanks for the detailed info. I have a couple of the masonite block things, and several of the Walther's or roco track cleaners. I haven't had a chance to use them as I got them after I decided to move the layout from the garage. I probably won't buy any of the high dollar cars, just use what I have. And, I am hoping that my new controlled environment will help keep the track clean too.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread