Bonus Room Shelf Layout

Here's a rough initial plan of the mainline & sidings. Lemme 'splain.

On the left is the staging area. This will be a shelf for "cassettes". I decided to go this route rather than trying to work in a turntable. I run steam, so being able to turn engines in staging is important. A short cassette (1 ft.) for the engines and a 3' cassette for the rest of the train, with a foot or so extra for longer trains (up to 5' length). The layout really can't handle trains longer than 3'-4' anyway so that's fine.

Following the track around the curve on the left brings you to the runaround track & wye. Minimum radius = 20". Three turnouts are marked #5 and the remaining turnouts are custom built to fit the wye. The area inside the curve on the left of the plan (where the siding kinda dead-ends abruptly) is for an industry of some sorts. I have a diorama that may fit there, but it may be more fun to make it possible to swap out scenes in order to vary the traffic on the line.

The area at the top of the plan between the runaround and the wall is for the town. There will be a station based on a structure in Silver Springs, FL, and the town will be on a hillside above. I'll post pics to show what I'm thinking later.

The small structure on the little spur right up next to the wye is an enginehouse for the switcher to serve Murdock's Landing (the timesaver). The timesaver is located at the dashed line on the right side of the plan.

Scenically this will be a river town nestled in the Blue Ridge mountains. Not much arrives there if it doesn't get there by train or up the river. Roads aren't that great yet. It will have a backwoodsy feel, but not too rundown. Times are still somewhat prosperous.

Any thoughts on the plan?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread