Input on a "Temporary" Shelf Track Plan
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I would suggest an alternative plan. Instead of doing a track plan that would eventually be incorporated in your layout when it gets built, just do a small switching layout that can be used to play with when you want to, can be used to test equipment to make sure it will traverse turnouts without derailing issues, and for storage as a "rip" track. That way, you can define your space for the shelf layout to coexist with the work bench without needing to make it fit future layout plans.

Thanks for the observation regarding the incorporation of the shelf into the larger layout. When first conceived, the shelf was going to be simply a RIP track on bare wood, with a connection to (but not true incorporation into) the main line. The acquisition of several turnout building kits expanded it's purpose to a turnout testbed, which prompted this thread. These guys on this forum (and listening to discussions about small layouts on the ModelRailRadio podcast) have indeed sparked an interest in making this a design that can stand alone. Now I'm thinking using it as a scenery testbed as well -and my wife is wondering why!

A lead to the main is still one of my goals (albeit a ways down the line). Your comment has also got me thinking about the permanency of any connection I may make. I'd be nice to be able to carry this thing out of the layout room if I wanted.

foulrift Wrote:Let me just add this-I have gotten a lot of useful input from the guys on this forum.Many of them have been doing this a lot longer than I have and the tips,suggestions,comments,etc were a great help. I learned a lot from these guys and I'm still learning.

This has, by far, been the most personally educational thread I've ever started. The quantity and quality of suggestions and well thought challenges to my plans have had an immediate impact onto the design and has completely changed my thought process, operationally and even aesthetically. I'm still circling back to and learning from earlier posts in this topic. I honestly thought that my first plan was pretty slick. And it was, if you count the number of turnouts used in that space!

brakie Wrote:Matt,I was wondering if you operated the layout yet?
Icon_lol No - I laid two switches based on Stein's first design, then you and shortliner went and started giving interesting input...
I have, however, really started studying how cars would be moved around and even walked this discussion past my wife (she smiled and nodded politely). I've been involved in model railroading for a long time, but as I'm planning this and the big layout, I'm finding that when it gets down to the details of track planning (and I'm sure a host of other issues), what I know is pretty shallow!

Updated plans this weekend.

Matt
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Messages In This Thread