Bonus Room Shelf Layout
Gary S Wrote:I think that us "shelf guys" are often guilty of overdoing things. We build our brackets and benchwork to hold 100's of pounds, but it just isn't needed.

For shelving, 2" thick foam is probably sturdy enough all by itself. Now, the foam isn't conducive to mounting switch machines and such under the layout, so maybe some 1/4" plywood glued to the foam would work?

Still, I know that when I get back to the layout for the new building, it will be way overbuilt = expensive Wallbang

I hear that! I'm debating now whether or not I want the base plate to be integrated with the layout or simply a means of stabilizing the brackets. Since the plan is to include a removable bridge section (which may be scenicked) I need the connection points on either end to be somewhat stable to avoid derailments and catastrophic floor plummetting.

I am inspired by folks like Bruce Petty and Lance Mindheim who have taken shelf layouts and really made them classy, along with our very own Nazgul/Steve, Kurt, et al. SO I really want the 'benchwork' to look neat and tidy but not at all distracting.

Okay...to work!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread