N Scale Union Pacific Layout
In the picture below, you will see alot of different color tracks. Ill explain them all in one post so I wont have to make several posts for each set of colored tracks...

White Tracks, Intermodal Yard
Ive always wanted to have an intermodal yard, but never had the space for one! Well it should be a little easier in N scale, so that is the first thing i added to this plan (white tracks). BLMA is coming out with the new 53' Spine Cars, so ill get all 4 sets and have a nice Spine Train loaded down with some trailers, and I saw a few sets of Wells that I would also like to get. It looks like a decent variety of nicely detailed containers and trailers are available, so modeling the intermodal yard should be pretty neat. The long tracks will allow 2 separate trains to be loaded/unloaded at the same time. Walthers makes the MI-Jack Intermodal Crane kits, so ill have to get a few of those for the yard. The only thing I havnt seen is container chassis in N scale, which poses somewhat of a problem. because what Intermodal yard doesnt have chassis for all the containers being offloaded?

Yellow Tracks, Yard
I want to be able to run a train on the mainline and then have it pull into a staging (for a lack of better words) track to dis-assemble or assemble. I made sure to not make any reverse loops (at least i think i did that), and the train can come in where smaller yard engines can either assemble or dis-assemble a new train, and pull cars from the 7 storage tracks.

Purple Tracks, Engine Servicing
Car Shop
Sanding Towers & Drying House
Machine Shop
Service Track Structures

These 4 kits should make a nice little compact servicing facility. I would like to have a diesel engine house, but that would take up ALOT of room... lol

Light Blue Tracks, Paper Mill
Ill use 2 kits, and kitbash the main mill to make a larger mill with 8 truck docks instead of 4. Im sure I will alter the structures in some other way as well, but the plan shows the general idea I have. There will be a pulp track (the track that runs around the mill) for spotting and unloading pulp flats

Dark Blue Tracks, Grain and Flour
The elevator is a beast, and I estimate it will take 7-8 of the ADM kits to build. I have also added in 2 of the Red Wing Flour Mill kits below the elevator to the left.

Pink Tracks, Cold Storage and Furniture Warehouses
The top 3 are a Cold Storage Facility using 2 of the Walthers RJ Frost kits and a Heljan Cold Storage Facility Kit. The larger structure below the Heljan kit is the DMP Woods Furniture kit. Each structure has its own siding for spotting cars (the Cold Storage Facility having 2 tracks) Below the Woods Furniture structure is the DMP Goodnight Mattress Company and the DMP Gripp's Luggage Manufacturing kits. Both of these will have no rail access and be serviced by truck only.

Black Tracks, Lumber
I layed out the Mountain Lumber Company Sawmill and the Walton & Sons Lumber Warehouse on the plan. I separated them, and made the Sawmill (Large Structure with the 3 black tracks) a desitnation for a small string of loaded spine log cars (lower Black Track) and empty 72' Centerbeam Lumber Flats (Upper Black Tracks). Once the Centerbeams are loaded, they can be brought down to the Walton & Sons Lumber Warehouse (structures in the lower right of the layout). The Walton & Sons Lumber Warehouse will be constructed of 2 kits, one built closed, and one built as half and connected to the closed to make it a long complex and able to accept a few Centerbeams at a time.

The Dark Green Tracks (above Walton & Sons) will be the industrial complex down in the lower right of the layout....

Attached Files Image(s)

Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread