Irgendheim, Germany, 1950
tv_man Wrote:As soon as the trackside wiring is more or less done, a new control panel will be built - wondering about how to get all the block control switches and switch switches on in an aesthetically pleasing and functional way.
I design my layout in 3rd Planit and then use the layout to design a straight line diagram of it, in sections if necessary, then make the 'trackwork' white and the background black. Any graphics application would work just as well but would require a little more work.

I then print using a laser printer on the blackest setting, laminate and fix to a thin board to be drilled and set with switches etc. I add any explanatory text in white to the drawing before printing. When drilling I clamp a second piece of thinnish (1/4" minimum) wood over the laminated side so the laminate doesn't twist around the drill!

Definately makes a professional finish rather than trying to mask with tape in straight lines then spraying, then unmasking and worrying the paint edges won't be sharp.

I use probe and stub for switch switches. I use solonoid motors so it's a quick touch. Suppose it could be used for slow action motors too though. I have DCC and so no block switches, but I use leds to show switch direction (bi colour, red switched, green normal routing).

Angie

Messages In This Thread