Control Panel for the new layout
Wayne, it is actually pretty simple. You may recall that my old layout used electromagnetic uncoupling and was discussed on the Old Gauge. I use O scale e-magnets under the ties of the HO scale track and they work perfectly. Anyway, most people use a momentary pushbutton to energize the magnet because you can't leave them on for very long or they get really hot and will probably fry. So, with the pushbutton, the magnet is on only when the button is pressed.

Now, the problem with the pushbutton is that it takes one hand to do hold the button in while the other hand is trying to control the handheld throttle to maneuver the loco to uncouple the cars... difficult to hold the throttle and make speed/direction changes with only one hand. So, I built a simple little control circuit based on relay logic to negate the need to hold the button down. Push it, magnet turns on, let go, magnet stays on, both hands now on the throttle, maneuver to uncouple, magnet automatically turns off 5 seconds later.

With me being an electrician, it is nice to apply my knowledge to the hobby. And, I am even considering running electrical pipe underneath the layout for the wiring!! Confusedhock:
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread