Control Panel for the new layout
Tetters, there are basically three different voltage systems in the box.

There is the incoming 120 volt AC power which is designated as "P" on the following photo.
We have the Digitrax DCC for the track power which is designated as "T".
We have uncoupler electromagnet power which is "U".

[Image: image.php?album_id=138&image_id=2389]

The 120 volt power comes in at the back of the panel and goes to the switch at P1. When the switch is closed, the green light comes on and 120 volts is sent to the fuse blocks at P2. From the fuses, the 120 volt power goes to the Digitrax power supply at T1 and to the uncoupler power supplies at U1 and U2.

The Digitrax power supply at T1 feeds 15 volts to the Digitrax Command Station at T2. From the Command Station, the track power is on the green and white wires to the four double-pole-single-throw switches located at T3. The layout is divided into 4 districts, the north wall, the east wall, the south wall, and the center wall. Each district has its own switch which controls the power in that district (this is for two reasons, first, I can turn off all the districts except one and use it as a programming track, and secondly, it will make troubleshooting and finding shorts a bit easier). Beside each switch is a red lamp (LED) that indicates power in each district. From each switch, green and white wires go to T4 which are the terminal blocks for the external track wiring to connect to.

For the uncoupler magnets, we have two 24 volt, 4.8 amp DC power supplies at U1 and U2. Each supply powers two districts. (The circuitry is designed to allow only one magnet in each district to be energized at any given time, so the maximum amperage on each supply would be two magnets, equaling 3 amps.) From the supplies, we have red and black wires going to the switches on the door at U3. Like the track power, there are four switches controlling the 24 volt DC to each district. Each district has its own voltmeter and ampmeter (Mainly used for troubleshooting). From the switches, the DC power runs to the 4 DIN rails on the right side of the control panel. There are 4 sets of these, one for each district. U4 is the 24 volt fuse location which protects the circuitry (four total).

Each electromagnet uncoupler will have a pushbutton and a small DPDT relay located along the fascia near the uncoupler location. Pushing and releasing this button will cause the magnet to turn on for 5 seconds and then turn off (this is adjustable). The Kadee O-scale electromagnets I am using are for intermittent duty only. If they are energized for too long, they will overheat and most likely destroy the insualtion on the magnet wire. Most people simply use a momentary pushbutton for this. However, the drawback is trying to hold the button in with one hand and at the same time trying to hold the DCC controller and operate the train with the other hand. My solution is the time delay relays. When the button is pushed and released, the magnet will turn on for 5 seconds and then turn off. This allows both hands on the throttle for easy operation. This time delay circuitry is accomplished by the time relay and the DPDT relay at U5 and U6. The color-coded terminal blocks at U7 are for the external wiring to the uncoupler locations.

That's about it. Overkill? Maybe. Did I have fun with it, and will I enjoy using it and showinf it off to people? Absolutely! Thumbsup
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread