Around how many freight cars can a GP7 realistically pull?
I'm certain a GP7 could pull five freight cars.

As for your atlas turn-outs/derailment issues, don't know if this is the problem but it is something good to know. I use Atlas Code 83 Customline so this may be different than yours, but I think the construction is the same. I've noticed that the nubs under the throwbar which holds the points are not big enough and sometimes slip out of the holes in the flat metal pieces that hold the points in place. This allows the points to slide over against the throwbar plastic which can cause a wheel flange to ride up over the rail. This doesn't derail every car, just some. For example, I had a turnout that would derail only my GP60 and nothing else. It is probably a combination of the wheel gauge and turnout problem. Here are photos for a better explanation.

Notice the point on the right has a gap between the point and the plastic of the throwbar. Now, on the left, there is no gap. A wheel flange can certainly contact the plastic and ride up and over the rail, especially if the turnout is part of an s-curve or crossover.
[Image: image.php?album_id=125&image_id=2516]

Here is the culprit: The nubs are not big enough to hold the metal piece in place. Too bad Atlas hasn't corrected this. Bigger nubs!!! Now, the solution is to delicately trim the plastic on the throwbar at an angle to allow the wheel flange to ride past the plastic... in other words, make the gap bigger. You don't neccesarily have to cut off the end of the throwbar, just file it at an angle. Hope this makes sense. Again, this may not be your issue at all, but doesn't hurt to check it out.
[Image: image.php?album_id=125&image_id=2517]
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread