How would this be switched?
Charlie B Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:Why switch it at all and make all those unnecessary moves?

Brakie, that is good advise, except for one thing. todays locals outlaw somewhere up the line and don't make it back until tomorrow or the next day, meanwhile the people that the industries have working over waiting for the cars get screwed.
I wish I had a nickel for every time the local pulled this on me and the mill we serviced actually had to shut down for lack of cars to load. This despite the fact the crew was called specific to work us first, but they knew better. I was glad when that crew was removed from the local and the job was put on the extra board.
Charlie

Charlie,That has always been a problem..A lot of a local crew's time can be spent waiting in a siding.Some times we was told to not switch a industry because the main line was to heavy...

PRR had a uran industrial branch in Columbus(Oh) that had a 10 mph speed restriction and was 4 miles long and served 2 customers a scrap yard and a lumber company and all crossings had to be flagged...Any time we had to waddle up that branch we knew we was in for a long day because it took 2 hours to do the work and make the round trip..

I recall another time we waited 45 minutes for a passenger train to pass-we could have done the work in 15-20 minutes and then cleared up and still been within the rules..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread