Puddlejumper's 2010 Summer Firehouse challenge
First thing's first. I managed to correct the coloration of the concrete relief detail on the front of the structure. I used tan paint to drybrush it to the color I wanted. Once the exterior is done I will weather it slightly to finish it off.

The American La France Tractor-Drawn Aerial ladder truck came in today. It is made by Busch, the same that company that made the ALF Hose Wagon. The Ford Pumper is from Athearn.

I got the walls assembled tonight. This is my first time building a superdetailed structure, so if any of my techniques seem... unorthodox... that is why. I am on a HUGE learning curve for this project.

For the interior walls, I figured the appearance of texture would be sufficient to give the impression of texture. In other words, I printed out the cinder block walls for downstairs and plaster walls upstairs on my computer. I think seeing the texture through the windows and engine bay doors will be quite satisfactory.
[Image: DSC_0275-1.jpg]

I also added a step or sill/threshhold where the blanked out door was.
[Image: DSC_0273-1.jpg]

You may notice that several of the walls have the same window arrangement. Since the Life Like kits have walls that are cast with out of scale bricks, walls from other kits don't match. I was forced to either use only Life Like kits for wall parts or else abandon the Life Like kit altogether if I wanted to use DPM or other scale wall parts. I blanked out 2 windows (may do more, I'm not sure) to partially hide the window arrangements, however it is not really a concern to me since there will be buildings on each side of this one. It will be very difficult to see all of 2 walls at once so it should not be too noticeable.
[Image: DSC_0277.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0276.jpg]

I found an old sign made of plastic suitable for the base of the structure. Also here is a couple of pics showing the placement of the apparatus. Next will be to establish a first floor plan to accommodate the "Watch Desk", 4 poles, an office, a lounge, and a bathroom.
[Image: DSC_0279.jpg]
-Dave

Messages In This Thread