Dansbury Depot
What a shame! i'm all in favor of progress, except at the expense of History!

I stayed with my grand parents in East Stroudsburg for a few weeks one summer ... I was about three, maybe four. Granddad used to take me up to that station every morning and every afternoon to see the Phoebe Snow go through town. I still remember the day that there was steam on the point going North in the morning and a new shiney, colorfull diesel on the head end going south in the afternoon. The diesel was pretty, yes, but it lacked the massiveness of the drivers, the motion of the side rods and valve gear and the feeling that the steam engine was alive, as you could hear the fire in the firebox and the pumps and the steam escaping here and there ... and those first couple of "chuffs" that you could feel in your chest as it began to roll forward leaving the station! It really did seem to be alive! (Granddad and I would always walk to the front of the train to "inspect" the steam locomotive.) As pretty and shiney as the diesels were, I soon missed listening to the steam locomotive engineers "play" their steam whistles as they passed through town (both there in East Stroudsburg and in Millersburg, along the Susquehanna, where we lived) at night as I was falling asleep!

Let's hope the injuction holds and a buyer with a better appreciation of the history of that town and its Depot surfaces to save that neat old building!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread