Gern traffic
You're right, Dave, there is a "master list" of car numbers and their owners. It was created to avoid duplicate numbers, although I don't really mind if people want to pursue this idea. I'd simply add the duplicates under the name of original owner of the number, with a note on who owns copies. I have sold some GERN stuff locally ('70s-era equipment) and figured if there's somebody around here interested in it, it was probably best to not duplicate the numbers, just in case I ever have more that that same person might be inclined to buy. Wink 357
I'm not a big fan of mailing cars around the country (it's difficult to package well-enough to avoid damage and still make it easy to re-package for sending on to the next recipient, and it's also more expensive as the size of the package increases). Besides that, I have a very tough time parting with stuff which I've built, even if it no longer fits into my operating scheme. Those of you who have bought rolling stock from me (particularly Mister Nutbar) are well- aware of this. Wink Goldth

Since GERN is intended to be a traffic generating industry, I doubt that most will bother to do sufficient GERN cars to fulfill all of the traffic requirements. My plant has a siding capacity of more than 15 cars, and I can, if I wish, switch it several times a day. Eek This gives me the opportunity to bring in cars from all over North America, either delivering supplies from somewhere else, or as empties for loading with GERN products destined for somewhere on their home road. For instance, if a reefer brings a load of oranges from Florida to a town on my layout, then, after it's been emptied and is heading for its home rails and happens to pass near the GERN plant in Port Maitland, the local agent may re-route it for loading at GERN - perhaps there's a shipment of bagged, boxed, or tinned product heading to a customer in Georgia and there are no other empties available. A useable car, headed in the proper direction is better than leaving the freight on the loading dock, despite the fact that my home road or GERN won't be earning any per diem charges, since they don't own the car.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread